Pages

Welcome!

This blog is for those starting locs or considering them! Follow me on my loc journey. It should get interesting...

Monday, April 2, 2012

A Piece of Advice: Take Pictures!!!

There are plenty of pieces of advice out there for new loc'ers: cover your hair at night, ACV rinses are great for cleansing, don't overtwist, etc. I believe that one piece of advice rarely shared is how great pictures are for documenting progress. I started taking pictures right after starting my locs, and I haven't stopped. I even have a Facebook photo album so friends can see my journey progress. Why is taking pictures so important?


I am constantly looking at my hair, especially since I started loc'ing. I know what my hair looks like every second of every day. That's not a bad thing at all, but it doesn't allow me to notice much change in how my hair looks. Of course, I can tell the difference in how my hair feels, but it always looks the same to me. Pictures have allowed me to notice change in growth and texture. While looking back at some older pictures, I realized how much my hair grew within the matter of two months. I didn't even think my hair was growing! The picture on the left was taken January 17, 2012 while the picture on the right was taken March 27, 2012. About two inches of growth took place, and I didn't even notice!
Take hundreds of pictures! Maybe not hundreds, but take a lot! They definitely help when you feel like your hair isn't growing or changing. When we spend so much time looking at our hair, we don't even see the changes. You'll be shocked about the changes you see in pictures!

4 comments:

  1. True.

    It's one of the easiest ways to keep motivation through the early stages and I imagine very rewarding when years have passed by, nothing showing future friends/children how your hair used to look back in the day :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I can't wait until I reach my length goal and look back at how much my hair changed. Reflecting over the journey is exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes talking pics are a great idea,i regret i didn't take pics on the beginning of my journey.

    ReplyDelete