Pages

Welcome!

This blog is for those starting locs or considering them! Follow me on my loc journey. It should get interesting...

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Locs: To Wash Or Not To Wash

I think one of the biggest stereotypes around locs/loc'ing is that one is not allowed to wash their hair. Of course, that is ridiculously incorrect. Hair of any kind, state, texture, whatever needs to be clean. Locs are no different. As a loose natural, I loooooved washing my hair. Loc'ing and washing has proved to be a challenge for me, though. Before My First Trip to the Loctitian, I washed my hair whenever I wanted. I was naive to how professionally retwisted locs felt and looked. I am now a semi-frequent client at a professional natural salon. I literally JUST got my locs retwisted two and a half weeks ago, and I'm ready to wash my hair. My roots are still pretty fresh, but my scalp is itching so badly. I find myself going back and forth, trying to decide whether or not I should wash my hair.


To take the edge of, I sprayed my locs with a water and peppermint oil mixture I made. It felt amazing! I want more! I need to wash my hair!!! Should I sacrifice how fresh my locs look though? *sigh* Decisions, decisions. Maybe I'll just wash my hair, wear it under scarf or the style from this post until my next self or professional retwist? I'll sleep on it and sort everything out. 

Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. Good question. Locs often look nice with a little fuzz after a retwist has had time to settle and in the end scratching itchy areas will loosen the retwist anyway so I say GET THE SHAMPOO OUT XD

    What shampoo do you use?

    Also try before and after photo if you shampoo, maybe it's not so bad...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely enjoy a little frizz after a wash, but I don't want my locs to get ridiculous. That's a good idea! It's probably not as bad as I think it is. I'll post before and after pics. Even if it is as bad as I think it is, I'll be happy to have clean locs. Thanks!!!

      Delete
    2. Also, at this point I use whichever shampoo is handy at the time. I'm considering do an acv and baking soda rinse though!

      Delete